Maybe Not “Vicious,” but Still Stupid
Are school administrators getting stupider by the day?
Kids catch the principal syping on them in the bathroom, and remove the camera. One of the kids, Mac Bedo, tells his mother, Cindy Chamipion, about the camera. So who’s in trouble?
The camera’s ostensible purpose was to catch vandals. Whether that’s true or not is immaterial; there are too many other questions that need answers:
- How were parents notified of the camera?
- How much could the camera see? Could it see urinals? Could it see into the toilet stalls?
- What about the camera’s audio capability?
- How were the archives stored?
- Who had keys to the storage?
- Who could vouch for access to the archives?
- What was the time limit on archive retention?
- How were the archives to be destroyed when the time limit had expired?
This is why you don’t let amateurs implement security. It also shows why schools should not have the "power of the parent."
(Hat tip: Drudge.)